Yes sadly award season is over :(, but now we can relive the biggest night in Hollywood: THE OSCARS! I thought the show overall was pretty good. Ellen was a great host and though the opening monologue was a bit lackluster, she kept the ball rolling with the infamous selfie, the pizza delivery, etc. If you want to hear more of my thoughts about the show, performances, and winners, check out my Post Oscars podcast with Aimee J : http://aimeej21.com/2014/03/post-oscar-snow-day/
full list of winners and nominees: http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/02/showbiz/oscars-2014-winners-list/
THE WINNERS (check mark ✓ and x mark ✗for my predictions being right or not)
- Best picture: 12 Years a Slave ✓
- Director: Alfonso Cuaron – Gravity ✓
- Actor in a leading role: Matthew McConaughey – Dallas Buyers Club ✓ Yes I wanted Leo so badly, but McConaughey did work hard for his role and his acceptance speech was pretty awesome.
- Actress in a leading role: Cate Blanchett – Blue Jasmine ✓
- Actor in a supporting role: Jared Leto – Dallas Buyers Club ✓
- Actress in a supporting role: Lupita Nyong’o – 12 Years a Slave ✓ My favorite moment of the night was when she won! Loved her speech and she deserved the win!
- Writing (adapted screenplay): 12 Years A Slave – John Ridley
- Writing (original screenplay) : Her – Spike Jonze ✓
- Animated feature film: Frozen ✓
- Foreign language film: The Great Beauty – Italy ✓
- Music (original song): “Let it Go” – Frozen – Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez ✓
- Music (original score): Gravity – Steven Price ✓
- Cinematography: Gravity ✓
- Costume design: The Great Gatsby ✗
- Documentary (feature): 20 Feet From Stardom ✗
- Film editing: Gravity ✓ Cuaron got this award first, can’t believe this was his first Oscar!
- Makeup and hairstyling: Dallas Buyers Club ✓
- Production design: The Great Gatsby ✗
- Visual effects: Gravity ✓
- Sound mixing: Gravity ✗
- Sound editing: Gravity ✗
- Short film (live action): Helium ✗
So I got 16/24 = 66% I mainly got stuck in some of the documentary and technical categories. Wow Gravity swept those up with a total of 7 wins. Sadly American Hustle got shut out of all 10 of its nominations. Overall I’m happy with all the winners
Now onto the RED CARPET!
- Lupita N’yongo in Prada. I understand how the cut can be viewed as unflattering for her, but I think overall she looked beautiful.
- Sandra Bullock in Alexander McQueen. great color, draping, and hair
- Amy Adams in Gucci. Another Navy blue, but the fit is perfect and looks exquisite. The earrings are also a nice touch.
- Camila Alves in Gabriela Cadena
Not So Good:
- Elsa Pataky in Elie Saab. No you don’t wear that kind of dress when you are pregnant! Something flowy is the best option (see Olivia Wilde and Kerry Washington)
- Sally Hawkins in Valentino. Pretty but not age-appropriate
- Margot Robbie in Gucci. Okay so while it’s not thaaat bad, she looks unrecognizable as a brunette! I know she had to do it for a role, but the hair is too harsh on her and the dress is not fitted well. She was one of favs at the Golden Globes too!
I guess this is where we part for award season. 😦 Though I am sad it is all over, it was fun so…. until next year!!!